Tag Archives: Liscencee of tenancy only




Make sure you know who is living in your property because if you don’t you could be in for a nasty surprise.

If you rent a property to a tenant and find out that they have registered themselves disabled and not told you- what do you do?

Well, what you need to know is when or should a “carer” move in to your property without your consent or knowledge which is quite possible in today’s society, the “Carer” becomes what is known as “A Licence of tenancy only”, meaning that the carer is the Licensee of your tenant.

tenancy_agreement_large- Image

Whilst they may enjoy similar status they have different rights.

You need to consider if your property lends itself to the system in terms of installing care aids as not all properties lend themselves to such.

Whilst initially you may have no objection to a tenant who has engaged the services of a “Carer” in the first instance you might want to keep an eye on the situation and put a formal letter in place as to your wishes, especially if a third party has been given a key to your property without your written consent or prior knowledge or alternatively seek legal advice.

While it remains one thing for a genuine tenant to require the needs of a carer make it quite clear in a letter to your tenant that they are there only on the basis of “Licensee of Tenancy only” and that they are only there to supply the services of care to your Tenant. You have no interest or intention of granting them a tenancy. Basically in essence this means that should anything happen to your tenant the carer’s will have not  be able to live in your property.

As a landlord you have a right to know who is living in your property and on that basis may wish to see the value in obtaining the full details of the carer and their qualifications.

Care, at this time is an unregulated industry, however, as legitimate carer would have the following qualifications as listed below:

  1. Person Centred Care.
  2. Has been CRB checked by the Care company
  3. First Aid
  4. Manual Handling (depending on the severity of the needs of tenant)
  5. Effective Administering of Medication.
  6. To be able to read and write to a good standard.
  7. Keep a good record of events.
  8. Finally, make sure that you never take money from the carer.

If you are not sure if you have a potential problem feel free to email us on Email: info@virtualtaxuk.com or Call on 07801 287 213