Category Archives: Professional services

RENTAL ACCOUNTS SERVICE –Don’t be a prize plum!

Don’t be a prize plum

Most people would agree that the idea of becoming a property magnet can be an exciting time. Never has the rental market been so vibrant and lucrative. However, when you decide to rent your home, by your own standards even though you may have undertaken all the relevant checks, when you hand over the keys to your tenant you hope that they will look after your property just the way you have- and to be fair some tenants do.

But what happens when things go wrong, the rents stops being paid and there are untold damages to your property?

As a business the cost of an eviction for unpaid rent arrears can have catastrophic consequences on your personal finances and can lead to financial ruin if you are unable to ride it out, let alone mention the untold amounts of emotional stress it takes on your family, personal health and time it takes to repair the damage-

Let’s face it’s every Landlords worse nightmare but if it has gone wrong you don’t have to let it define you!

Calling all property magnets

Don’t be a prize plum!

So when you decide to step into the rental arena make sure you obtain the right advice from the outset and understand the responsibilities on both sides- don’t make the rules up as you go along because this can affect YOUR TAX!

There are specific rules for rental ins and outs and how to recover the unpaid rents when it comes to filing your personal self-assessment tax return to H M Revenue & Customs.

So, if you need some help with your rental portfolio and reclaiming and expenses give me a call to see if I can HELP and assist you getting YOUR LIFE back on track.


Care Planning consider this

Care Planning Consider this:

How would you feel if after all those years of hard work making a great life for yourself and your family the court took control of your finances, if you, lost mental capacity simply because you don’t have the right documents in place?

Planning for your care is a worthwhile investment but when you are taking advice about Care Planning one of the most important questions to ask is  how to avoid sideways disinheritance the misdirection of assets.

Avoiding sideways disinheritance

Avoiding sideways disinheritance

Should you consider leaving your assets to your own family then did you know that, if your children divorce or their relationship breaks down or even if the remarry they can lose out.

There are safeguards that can be put in place but if you are not aware that they exist and plan accordingly the law can direct your assets to someone against your wishes and is something that thousands of people face every year.

Don’t allow that to happen to your children!




If one of your family members was diagnosed with late onset Alzheimer’s disease a form of dementia have you thought about how you will run your business and managing the stress of a poorly loved one. As a CEO of a large  corporation  you are already used to making big decisions and having a team support and report to you.

Having a parent diagnosed with any form of memory loss can impact on your daily function and stress you to the hill when a clear head at work is absolutely vital.

So here are 3 tips for you to think about from my own personal experience as a daughter and as a business owner.

  • 1.  As a CEO of your own company your business will only evolve if you learn to delegate and give others responsibility to which they are accountable to you for.

Your role as you are already aware is to manage them or stress manage them (or invest in someone who will) as and when by giving them the tools to do their job well and support you in your endeavour as you climb the ladder to success. The team you choose and the investment you make into them will be the deciding factor when it comes to their loyalty to you should you need to cope with a parent diagnosed with any form of dementia and continue to run your business at the same time.

We remain forever surprised and grateful to those who step up when we are in need of a kind word or support especially when an employee goes above and beyond your expectation of them when you are having a bad day or are called to the hospital at short notice due to a parents failing health. It is a no brainer- go to the hospital. It can feel really overwhelming when you notice who steps up rarely is it the person you expect!

  • 2.  Trying to keep all the balls in the air channels your focus. You will be surprised as what you can achieve and just how much ground you can cover when the pressure is on, so make it count its an opportunity for you to now do your best work.

I learned that I do my best work in a crisis, something I did not know about myself until I was in the chaos of the crisis of trying to manage one parent who needed my help and who I would naturally want to help and the other who played for my attention because the other was receiving all the attention. That’s tough to manage considering the one – non dementia was more difficult to cope with than the one who had been diagnosed with late onset Alzheimer’s.

  • 3.  Keep a journal especially if you have sought the intervention of social services in case you need to refer back to it later on, just like a journal of the last meeting you undertook with your staff.

If, you need more information then please email me

Buying a property at auction?



Buying a property at auction can be a great way of bagging a bargain, however, you will need to make sure your funds are ready to hand over should you be lucky enough to find a property you like.

Here are a few things to think about before you proceed:

Make sure your solicitor knows about their subject and is working in your best interest.

Make sure that there is no debt attached to the property as there are tax consequences to you if there is.Property-Auction-

Make sure you do the maths in terms of the work that is required to bring it up to standard actually warrants the investment.

If you need someone on side to make sure the numbers work or ask questions you have may not have thought about which may have a direct impact on your money, contact Jane on 07801 287 213 or book a meeting at a time that’s mutually beneficial.

Contact Number: 07801 287 213





Tax image penaltyTax penalties are looming if you do not file your personal self assessment tax return for the year ended 05th April 2014, on line and on time, that being the 31st January 2015. Payment of any tax due for the year ended 05th April 2014 is also due and payable on the same date, less any payments you have already made towards this year last January and July 2014.

You can pay your tax bill on the H M Revenue and Customs website through Bill Pay on H M Revenue & Customs home page or at the Post Office.




Run your business & focus on growth!!!

Getting your tax sorted so that you can run your business and focus on growth is what Virtual Tax UK specialise in.

If you’d rather do anything than plod through your self-assessment forms or want to make sure your business tax demands don’t leave you open to penalties, you’re in exactly the right place.

What you get when you come to Virtual Tax UK is:  

  • A thorough understanding of what is required so you don’t get fined.
  • A very personal service based on what you need, no matter how much or little support you need in getting your tax sorted out.
  • Hands on guidance to get you organized and make your accounts simpler to manage in future.
  • Claim what you are entitled to.

Whether you want some help with the basics of Self-Assessment or you have a business that needs to comply with the current legislation you’ll get just what you need. This leaves you free to get on with what you do best – running your business and focusing on growth.

You can be sure that you’ll get a bespoke service that will ensure your financial affairs are in order so that you sleep easy at night. You can find out more about how we can be of assistance by contacting us

Mb: 07801 287 213 or Email: or visit our Website: www


Happy New year from your flexible tax expert!

TAX – Make sure you only pay what you HAVE to!!!


Make sure you only pay what you HAVE to

Even though the Self-Assessment form is supposed to make it easy for you to complete your personal return yourself all those boxes can be daunting. When it comes to business tax returns, whether that’s corporation tax, VAT or the ins and outs of the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) all this paperwork can be a major headache and take over your life.

Tax services                                                         Tax photo Jan 2012

  • Prepare income and expenses for sole traders, partnerships in order to complete your personal self assessment tax return and file on line.
  • Landlords – Property income and expenses.
  • Prepare and file your VAT returns and advise on the best VAT scheme for your business.
  • Prepare the paperwork for corporation tax, if youre a limited company, and ensure you are getting the best tax option for your situation and file through IXBRL.
  • Company formation.
  • complete your self-assessment forms if youre an investor or city trader and ensure you don’t pay tax on anything you don’t need to and that you claim all the allowances you should.

Let’s be honest, you’d far rather be doing what you do best, rather than poring over sheets of numbers, let alone working into the wee small hours trying to make sense of it all hoping for the best which can cost you in the long run.

If you need help with your paperwork or have managed to get yourself in a pickle, feel free to contact us on: Mb: 07801 287 213or Email: info@virtualtaxuk.comor visit our Website: www







Make sure you know who is living in your property because if you don’t you could be in for a nasty surprise.

If you rent a property to a tenant and find out that they have registered themselves disabled and not told you- what do you do?

Well, what you need to know is when or should a “carer” move in to your property without your consent or knowledge which is quite possible in today’s society, the “Carer” becomes what is known as “A Licence of tenancy only”, meaning that the carer is the Licensee of your tenant.

tenancy_agreement_large- Image

Whilst they may enjoy similar status they have different rights.

You need to consider if your property lends itself to the system in terms of installing care aids as not all properties lend themselves to such.

Whilst initially you may have no objection to a tenant who has engaged the services of a “Carer” in the first instance you might want to keep an eye on the situation and put a formal letter in place as to your wishes, especially if a third party has been given a key to your property without your written consent or prior knowledge or alternatively seek legal advice.

While it remains one thing for a genuine tenant to require the needs of a carer make it quite clear in a letter to your tenant that they are there only on the basis of “Licensee of Tenancy only” and that they are only there to supply the services of care to your Tenant. You have no interest or intention of granting them a tenancy. Basically in essence this means that should anything happen to your tenant the carer’s will have not  be able to live in your property.

As a landlord you have a right to know who is living in your property and on that basis may wish to see the value in obtaining the full details of the carer and their qualifications.

Care, at this time is an unregulated industry, however, as legitimate carer would have the following qualifications as listed below:

  1. Person Centred Care.
  2. Has been CRB checked by the Care company
  3. First Aid
  4. Manual Handling (depending on the severity of the needs of tenant)
  5. Effective Administering of Medication.
  6. To be able to read and write to a good standard.
  7. Keep a good record of events.
  8. Finally, make sure that you never take money from the carer.

If you are not sure if you have a potential problem feel free to email us on Email: or Call on 07801 287 213

Starting a business- speak to Virtual Tax

Starting a business can be very exciting and thrilling. Investing in the right advice from the beginning can save you a lot of heart ache down the line.But it’s important to speak to the right people when t come’s to structuring a new venture. The local man in the pub will not do.

When people start a business they can be very consumed at how wonderful their idea is and abdicate in finding out whether ot not there is a market for what they are offering.

If there is a market for what is on offer then the likely hood of it becoming a success is a fine one. Many people today start businesses without understanding the value in taking the right advise from day one. There is value in paying your tax adviser or person who does the number crunching who is experienced in their field to ask those ever important questions that have not yet even crossed your mind.

So here are a few tips to consider

Did you know that advertising your business venture on face book without first registering with HM Revenue & Customs can lead to a lot of problems.

Renting a room from someone on the high street already under a lease with their land lord requires them to check and prove that they have the provision of sub letting built into their contract/ lease.

What research have you undertaken to prove your venture is a viable one and has potential?

Here we have your best interest at heart will ask those uncomfortable questions, why. because we want to make sure you have done your homework and wish to see you be a success at what you love to do…..

If, this makes sense to you and you can see the benefit in acquiring the right information feel free to call us on Mb: 07801 287 213 to see how we can help you best!

Tax Tips Renting out your own car space- taxable or non taxable?


How many of you who have rented out your own car park space knew the consequences?

Did you know that renting out your own car space and receiving income from that source is deemed as taxable income, even if that means that by doing so you have to rent a space yourself.

Renting out your own car park space on your own driveway means you are responsible for declaring that income on your own personal self assessment tax return when you file it to  H M Revenue and Customs. The entries should be made on the Land & Property pages

Remember to consider that should you enter into this type of arrangement make sure you prepare a contract and include a break clause in case the situation changes.